RCU Forums - View Single Post - C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Gotta admit I haven't used Crow yet in my jets. But in my gliders (slope racing and hotliners) it is the only way to get them down! One thing I know is I do not like the way my gliders handle with a lot of up aileron crow, it is for landing, I need the drag, period. In the jet community I see Crow is very popular but I am surprised by the great difference in the amounts used by different modelers. For some 5mm of Crow is about it, to me that sounds reasonable, the crow will modify the airfoil camber, act as washout, and force the outer wing to stall last, allowing the pilot positive aileron control at a slightly higher angle of attack to touchdown. Large amounts of Crow would appear to me to act more like spoilers. Like in my gliders. Now you are really killing the lift on the outboard wing and will be reducing aileron effectiveness. This is opposite of washout. So I do not know where the line is and probably won't do the testing to find out. But if I were to use some crow it would be to enhance aileron effectiveness and overall wing airfoil "forgiveness" and not purely for gobs of drag, I would use a small amount of crow, not "spoilers".

Last edited by husafreak; 08-08-2014 at 05:33 PM.