RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tiger I painting questions
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 02:23 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,

First thing you need is “der Tiger im focus” http://www.tiif.de/index.php?sid=75a...73a5cb01dc42c2 this shows all known pictures and information on each Tiger, failing that you can do no better than the books Tigers in Combat vol 1,2 and 3 the latter is only available at the moment in German.

There is little I can tell you about A02. I have also not studied GD so will have to look through books to tell you anything.
A02 Tiger 250215 was built in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] week April 1943, so is in the area of change for being painted dunkelgelb this is where the only known pictures come in use both pictures are the same with one being larger and not showing the staff car to the side, this picture was taken towards the end of August 1943 first glance you would have thought that the Tiger was dunkelgrau owing to the amount of dirt that has accumilated but at this time this would not be possible as all Tigers were painted in the field dunkelgeld during the build-up for Operation Zittadel, there is a nice large picture in “Tiger I on the Eastern Front” page 131, showing the rear of A02 in this picture it confirms the Tiger was painted dunkelgelb as the hatch interiors are painted in this colour, you can also see that the Tiger has some sort of camouflage pattern added which is not dissimilar to the staff car to the side I would say that the camouflage is in olivegrun and not dunkelbrun.