RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tiger I painting questions
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 PM
mondo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metalhead1986

I am not sure how you can determine that the tank is painted in dunkelgelb. It certainly is not gray, but if the information mondo provides is correct, it could be a shade of yellow. What do you think about this?

If it turns out to be dunkelgelb, what is a good one to use? The three I have called dunkelgelb all have a very green tint to them, and the Ammo of Mig one I was looking at also seemed to have a very green tint, almost to the point where I would be hard pressed to call any of them dark yellow. I also have Vallejo Middlestone and Green Ochre. The Green Ochre is the least green of them all (funny), and the Middlestone is very similar to the various dunkelgelbs I have.

I knew this would be the hardest part after I read through a bunch of threads on scale modeling forums.

Theres a certain amount of guess work and a certain amount of reference. Thankfully the Germans were meticulous record keepers and guys like Jentz and Doyle spent allot of time collating them.

Its almost certain that if they were yellow (and not grey), they'd be dunkelgelb. Some Tigers which made it to 505abt were painted in 8020 and 7027 but that was a single batch intended originally for Africa. I think they grey area - pardon the pun - is what colour it left the factory in: 7021 Dunkelgrau or 7028 Dunkelgelb. Where there is complete certainty is if you wanted to paint A02 just prior to, or at Kursk. Because the unit order to repaint all tanks yellow and green was given then.

Some of the paints available are very green. I have the Vallejo one and used it on a HL Tiger and it looks way to green. The Mig AMMO do all three versions of Dunkelgelb but I think they're a little on the light side, because they're usually put on 1:35 models, can't say I've tried them. I always end up going back to Tamiya XF-60 because it looks good and airbrushes nicely.

To be honest, with all of this, go with your gut instinct. If it looks right, go with that.

Last edited by mondo; 08-14-2014 at 01:30 PM.