RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tiger I painting questions
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM
metalhead1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rivetcounter

First of all, let me say that your 1/6 tiger build was amazing. You were able to add detail that I could only dream of on my Tiger. I also wish I had your scratch building skills. I was excited about my gun cleaning rods and track changing cable. Now I feel pretty inadequate.

The research you have done into all things Tiger I must be extensive, and I appreciate you sharing this knowledge with me. The variations of everything Tiger has me confused half the time with the little I have read. Being able to retain all these variations and changes is very impressive.

I know there are multiple books by Jentz and Doyle on the Tiger, and I am referencing “Germanys Tiger Tanks D.W. to Tiger I," but I stopped using the name of the book back in the research stage of this project. Maybe I should go back to using it, so there is no confusion.

One thing I have done quite a bit of reading on is dunkelgelb, which is why I asked my question the way I did . I know it could spark a heated debate, with no real winner. I was just looking for suggestions, as the Vallejo colors labeled at dunkelgelb that I have all look too green for me. The idea of mixing XF-59 and XF-60 in a 1:1 ratio is something I have seen elsewhere. I guess I will hit the LHS tomorrow and see if I can pick up a jar of each.

Your description of how you mix them and thin them with X-20A was a little confusing in the thread on the 1/6th Tiger. What I got was a 1:1 ratio of XF-59 and XF-60, then thinned at a ratio of two parts paint to one part thinner. Did I interpret this correctly? That is the ratio I used for paint to thinner on my Leo, so I guess it would make sense here, too.

Thanks again for all the advice and guidance you are giving me.

Steve