RCU Forums - View Single Post - I want to build a SCX10 Wrangler G6, but not sure on electronics...
Old 08-18-2014, 04:11 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to build a SCX10 Wrangler G6, but not sure on electronics...

I'm looking to start into crawling. I really want to build a kit because I think it is the next big step in the hobby for me. I've done tons of research and I think I can do it. I know crawlers are expensive, so I have a budget of about $700-$750, that's tops. I don't like plastic gears in general, so the hardened gear set that is available for the tranny is on my list. I'm also going to purchase a stainless hardware kit for all the screws/bolts for everything. I really want a winch, so I've decided on going with the RC4WD wireless winch controller and the RC4WD Warn 9.5cti Winch. I have one question on the winch voltage though. It says I can run between 6v-11.1v, a fully charged 3S is 12.6v. Do they just mean 3S then? I figured I could just wire the wireless winch controller to the battery, but if it has to stay below 11.1v, I would need a Castle 10A BEC, right? I want to use this bumper: http://store.rc4wd.com/Tough-Armor-W...10_p_1083.html to mount the winch because I rather it be attached to the chassis by steel, not plastic.

So those are a couple of little extras that I wanted, since I'm spending $700. lol

For electronics, I have a FlySky Radio so I would just pick up a $8 receiver, no biggy. I plan to use a HiTec 5645MG servo and run everything off a Gens Ace Hardcase 11.1v 40C 5000mah battery. Here is where I run into a tough decision. (for me anyways) I can't decide which brushed combo to use. When it comes to this part of the build, I'm looking for high quality. The best I can find (without going sky hi prices) is the Tekin FX-R ESC and 35T crawler combo. Either the regular or the Pro version. I don't really know the differences, so that's another question. I want to go pretty slow but still be able to punch it out up to at least walking pace. I am close to completing a custom trailer to haul this thing around too. I want to be able to do some videos and precision crawling through tough trails.

The last 14 motors I've blown up have been brushed, so I'm quite hesitant about going brushed. I figure if I run 3S and something with decent quality, it should last a long time. Other hobbyists do it and I would like to also! lol Due to my budget I have the option to go brushless, but from what I've read, brushed is king when it comes so slow crawling/creeping.

So thanks to anyone who reads this super long post and responds, as I'm almost ready to buy, but just need a little help on a couple of things...