RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club FOX!
Thread: Club FOX!
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the Fox looks, you should check out their newest carb, it is a beauty (and functions perfectly). That might cure your carb needle issues too, Tim. I know it won't be vintage, but you will love the looks and performance with the new carb.

My Fox 74 ring engine also has super high compression that it feels like an ABC. When I flip the prop, you also have to move your finger out of the way or it will get smacked. The 74, according to the article by Clarence Lee that is always quoted around here, has higher compression than the Fox 60. That is why you have to run LOW nitro fuel (5% max) on it. That is even after getting the new head button plus 2 head shims.

I recently had to dump a nickel-plated engine because the liner peeled after an accidental lean run. Some dirt got in the fuel and clogged the carb (my fault of course). While the plane was flying, the carb got clogged and leaned out, causing the liner to peel. I couldn't cut the engine because it was on a plane that cannot dead-stick. There was still some pinch at TDC (less than originally), but as the engine warmed up, the compression is lost, and engine would quit. Normally, I would repair/replace the damaged part, but this brand of engine's spare parts are so expensive, that I decided to switch over to a used 4-stroke glow instead.