RCU Forums - View Single Post - I want to build a SCX10 Wrangler G6, but not sure on electronics...
Old 08-20-2014, 04:59 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collector: I've heard good and bad things about both Tekin and Novak. I own a Tekin Sensored 13.5T brushless that powers my TL-01 through a 4:1 GRU and I absolutely love the motor! It works wonderfully and even with the vents, it has stood up to lots of snow, and is still running strong at cool temps. I also own two VXL3S ESCs, one of which powers the Tekin sensored motor. I've bought the VXL3S in the past because of it's capabilities and high amp output. They run a lot hotter than I would like them to and I've had one short out, creating a burn hole in the waterproofing silicone, but it still works amazingly... I hear other hobbyists have similar issues so I'm kinda shying away from putting one in my new crawler. The Novak 21.5T sensored motor doesn't look bad though. I didn't seen that one...

After changing to lipo, NiMh is the last thing I want to use, sorry. I prefer to drain one battery pack if possible, thus the thought of a separate BEC. Thanks anyway!

BKoz559: Would like a 3000mAh battery be more reasonable? I'm not so sure I want to dive down to 2000mAh... I've read that people like putting the battery in the front to achieve more weight over the front axle to help with flipping and approach angles. That sounds like a better idea.

I've used a 55T Holmes Hobbies motor and blew it up on 2S. I think it was because it required more voltage. I'm thinking either 35T or 45T on 3S. If I were to go 35T, what brand (Tekin, Novak, Holmes Hobbies, etc) of ESC/motor combo would you recommend? I like the idea of a BEC, but I've never had to use one. I know how they wire though, so I might put one it. How are the Holmes Hobbies ESCs?

Overdrive: I think I will go ahead and plan on an BEC.

Phmaximus: Do they offer aluminum ones that have winch mounts? I've read that it's a real pain to try and mount a winch to the stock bumper, but maybe I read wrong. I don't like the idea of it most likely flexing and all that during a scale recovery. I want to take some footage of this thing, and plastic flexing bumpers aren't real cool when it comes to a scale video.

Thanks guys for replying so quickly! My computer was down last night, but I got her running good again, thus the late reply. Are there any other things that I should add, change, or don't need in my build description above? It's great to have active and willing members to turn to when I'm trying to figure something out. Thanks!