RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ply Rolled Fuselage Part Deux - 1/2A " Mini Skorch "
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After about 20mins of sanding the top foil is close for rough shape and I lost 8.4g in sawdust, in theory I should lose about the same to foil the bottom this one will get a fully symmetrical airfoil and weigh in at around 1.3oz ish prior to getting some ply in the center section and 1in strapping tape on the CG. Not really needed for a Cox .051 but it I slap on the TD .09 will be. I drew a center line on the 10mm thick planks leading and trailing edge as a guide and a light line at the CG and now with just a 5 mm leading edge awaiting another bout of sanding for the bottom. The Lil Stinker .020 wing had no leading edge treatment the wood was more dense and the covering helped. This one will get a epoxy coating along its edge and back a hair to help control any potential dings. Another way is to slit the wood for a run of thin ply then sanded for a sharp leading edge. Spruce strip would just add too much weight. At the very least run a bead of CA and smooth it on with two fingers in a small plastic bag to reduce mess.

Here is a pic showing the hand drawn airfoil at the saddle no special foil selection just one of my own only a hair gap remains at the CG with the wing on will fine tune at the end. This was some work to do even with fresh sand paper and on a aluminum T sanding bar.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-27 02.50.56.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	2026314  

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 08-27-2014 at 12:49 AM.