RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris
I used someone else's posting for DLE data. They got their in-flight numbers using telemetry, which is why I used it for a comparison.
"I am hoping this will improve somewhat with more time on the engine, I flew it last weekend with a 20" 10-6" (8" average?) woodie (not bad profile) and the telemetry showed me that it peaked out past 8700rpm in flight but on the ground I was only getting 7150rpm"

No idea what plane this was on, imagine is a light weight aerobatic or 3D type, but yes a 20" prop seems like a lot. We also know the AXI5345HD-14 will spin a much bigger prop than a 20x8. Wasn't going to get into the ZInger dual pitch, just called it 8. My intent was to try and show how the two will compare in flight during a warbird flight routine. You would be very disappointed if you propped a DLE and the AXI the same way

I land early by choice, but the setup has a lot of time left in it. Been down the road of spinning the props fast, and it works great on smaller stuff. My favorite plane is the Deuces Wild you see in some of my pictures in the shop. It is spinning a pair of APC 10x10E at 13K RPM, it is very easy on equipment, and is a blast to fly. In the larger sizes, I also went for the high RPMs initially, and they sound cool with lots of prop rip as they scream by, but those setups were harder on batteries, IMHO. I slowed down the RPMs, and upped the pitch, and they are just as fast, and easier on equipment and battery's. Yes, cooling is king. You can get away with a lot more if it is properly cooled. Another area too many don't address

We have different philosophies on setup, and that's fine. As long as it works, that's all the matters. I just hate it when people bad mouth electric as being under powered, when in fact its because they are not setup right from the start.