RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 90" p-38 was in the low 90's in that video. I don't think it broke a 100.

You loose a lot spinning three blade props vs two blade, my goal was to keep the motors happy spinning the 3 blade APC props, not top speed

Yes your setup will spin it, but I don't think you will stay within the rated limit. If the motors were in the airstream, would most likely be fine. Behind a spinner, with no cooling air... Most likely will not be OK for long

Since you have everything, I would try the APC 15x10, or 14x12 thin electric two blade props for your maiden. Get the plane sorted out, and use the flight data to help pick the right 3 blades

Edit. I don't think using full pack volts to figure RPM is right as the voltage drops under load, the higher the load, the higher the voltage drop. I am happy to email you the data files using a few different size three blade props. If you download the castle link software from their website, you can open the file using the Castle link graph viewer. You can scroll thru the data and see how much power it takes to spin a given RPM. It is not exact as different motors will require different power to spin the same prop, but its great reference data. Once a motor passes it highest efficiency range, it continues to try to spin the prop. The amp draw with increase, voltage drop increases, heat increases. That's why I switched motors, the APC were just a little to big for the Scorpions

Again, I think your are going to end up with MA14x9x3 (little too small), the MA16x10, or better yet, the 16x10 trimmed down with rounded tips to make them 15x10 to get a little more RPM. IMO, you need around a 14.5 -15x12x3 E prop, which I am not aware of anyone who makes one....except Vario prop adjustable props

Go on E calc, and use the spreadsheet I posted, great resources
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php?ecalc&lang=en

Last edited by 70 ragtop; 08-27-2014 at 11:22 AM.