RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The reason I use full voltage values is because I deduct 20% off the total. My logged results came very close to my predictions very often. I know its not conventional but I needed someway to layout set ups quickly and then go test. That was before there was a lot of good community info on motors batteries and ESC's in common configurations. There should be good data on Eflite 90's and CC100 ESC's. However any data you find online or in an ECalc will still be an approximate value. You still have to test and use the Watt Meter and Data Logger to get your installed info with your components.
Ive seen several people do the "same" thing and get different results. Thats why Im making more general comments and encouraging everyone to go thru the motions.

Heres what we know so far on Sudstad's set up;

Eflite 90 outrunner motors - 50+ Amp rated 325KV
CC 100A ESC's
6S 5000mah packs
Rcommended prop 16x8

i just read the review on the motor on Horizons site and a guy posted good info, you should read that.

"I installed a power 90 in a Great Planes GeeBee R-2 13lbs6oz, then a Great Planes Ryan STA 13 lbs 14oz and again in a 86" PT-19. 13lbs6oz. In each case the Power 90 flew the airplanes better than a 1.20FS and a 108 (PT-19). On 8s5000, Castle 100, Zinger 16/8, full throttle is 62.3 amps, 29.52 volts 1839 watts, 8380rpm, all figures from a bench test, using a fully charged battery; verified in each airplane. 6 clicks throttle back produced 50 amps, 7740 rpm, which is great for cruise and smooth acro. Average flight times are about 7 minutes, cell voltage runs from 3.6 to 3.8 after each flight. So far 12 flights on the three airplanes! This is a great combination; the motor is underrated. My next conversion is the Great Planes Chipmunk. Great product, I'll put a Power 60 in a Great Planes Folker tripe after the Chipmunk."

Thats all you need to know and then you have some testing and choices to make. My personal opinion is to step up to 8S power and go ahead and fly on 16x8 APC E props. On 6S it looks like this motor will be weak. Seems pretty inefficient compared to an AXI 53XX series motor because those can handle more prop, 20+ inch dia, for the same basic power.

The RMP loaded on 6S will be pretty low from what Im seeing here. I would try testing the 18X8 prop because the rpm is going to be around 6600RPM and thats 2000rpm below optimal. Just have to see what the actual Amp load is and temps.

So for example I was saying deduct 20% and its pretty close right?
The guy that posted the review claims 8380RPM on 8S
Do the math and peak voltage on 8S is 33.6 X 325KV = 10920RPM
Thats 77% or 23% loss how ever you want to call it.
APC claims 9062RPM to be their safe limit so this guy is enjoying this set up because its spot on for what it is.