RCU Forums - View Single Post - G&L 1/5 DHC chipmunk - diary of a build.
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zor does not intend to pursue this matter

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Zor, I am puzzled too. I can mix up some paint and right away I can see if it is going to be yellow or butterscotch. And it is random, one time its good the next it is not. Same can same procedure. In post 599 I had already wet sanded the cowl as I was fitting the muffler exits so it dulled it up but there is a very noticeable difference in the color between the yellow and the butterscotch (that is what I am calling this undesired color). This yellow is very hard to judge even in person let alone in a pic on a computer screen. There are times I see the fuselage and it looks like butterscotch, then the next time it is a nice rich yellow. The light plays big mind games with this color.
The pic I showed before side by side shows the difference best.

theses pic show it.

I don't think it is mixing because I mixed the hell out of it today and still got butterscotch. It could be the way I am mixing, I did 4oz and got butterscotch, then 2oz and got yellow.
But the first paint on the fuselage was 5oz so that doesn't add up.

Then on the next batch just a few turns and it shows the rich yellow right away.

So there is something that is causing the paint to not color up right, right at the start. And I cant figure what it is.

I am not trying to match my avatar. I did order the British R.A.F. Trainer Yellow. I don't know if the Canadian trainer yellow is the same, but the fuselage is the color of my avatar so go figure.

There is one last possibility, and that is that the butterscotch is the true color of this paint and the yellow is the anomaly. But I don't think so.

TB
Tony,

I do not intend to pursue this matter to avoid someone claiming I am trying to take control of the thread.

I wrote some comments as I felt qualified to discuss the results of photograhy.
How am I qualified?

I have 22 boxes of 35 mm Kodachrome and Kodacolor slides each containinng up to 140 color slides all processed personally in my dark room.

While with RCA ( Radio Corporation of America ) I was for a while visiting many TV station to train their camera operators as to 'how to set up the TV cameras for best picture rendition. It involved not only camera adjustments but also environment such as the kind of illumination and intensities to illuminate the scenes being broadcast from interior locations. That does not involves outdoor daylight sunny scenes but it does involve evening or night scenes and of course camera adjustments.

I have here a wing that has large yellow areas and large green areas. I will not post some of these pictures in this thread but I can say that the same green often appears more bluish than green.
I think it has to do with incandescence lights versus fluorescent illumination. The hue of the color may also vary due to the camera response variation of the color data ( three colors only being mixed ) as the illumination level changes. Typically a lower illumination level on the object tends to darken it while the lens may open larger to maintain average overall level.

A camera does not see a scenery the same way our minds interpret our eye's vision.

Enough said . . . . I will not return with the subject unless you have specific questions.

I only wish I had your dexterity, your patience and overall attention to details.

Best regards from Zor.