RCU Forums - View Single Post - Grass Runway
Thread: Grass Runway
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I moved to the city in 06 and gave away my chain saws to my son but understand you fully, I still had to cut all my own wood and I did always give the danger part a lot of thought when I was doing it. I have seen more body damage done with model planes then chain saws though, even in the days of working with a wood cutting crew. I have gotten bit several times, just a nip and not a real bite but I see missing fingers quite often. We tend to get a bit complacent with our models.
Think asking about your runway and sifting through the answers is hard, don't even mention radios!!! That is really a can of worms, just do a search, there are hundreds of pages about radios.
Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I was in the same boat, one club was about 40 minutes away and the other {better} club was right at about an hours drive. When I went down the mountain I got at the good field about 10am and everyone else was on there way out. At about 11 a couple other guys would come out and join me. The locals were afraid of the wind. We would fly until about 5 so it was worth the drive.
Right now I fly from a dry lake bed that is 27 miles away and I like it there, nice guys to hang with. I have another nice little field just down the road from me but I'm usually the only one there, not safe and it is boring without anyone else to fly with. Still, I use it, it's great to have a close runway just for those days I don't want to drive,
I would rather build then fly but I enjoy getting out with the guys for a few hours. Today was great seeing everyone, no wind to speak of and it was under 100 but HUMID!! Heat I don't mind but humid tends to make the day shorter. A home field is nice, you can invite the people you enjoy over to fly and BBQ.