RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Rc Evolution
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick H.

Adding some glue may buy you a little, however I don't think so. The structure that attaches the spar in the wing to the wing tube is lacking not only in structure, but also in the use of the grain in the wood. What you end up with is a fairly stiff I beam spar in the wing and the rigid Carbon fiber tube with what turns out to be a fuse between them (Like an electrical fuse.), a weak spot that will fail first. After looking at the wing I'm not sure that all of the failures are failures of the structure that connects the wing spar to the CF wing tube. Thus my decision to pretty much scratch the wings and build a new set. 99% sure it will be a foam core, balsa sheeted wing. Been building those for 40 years so far no failures. OK none in the air anyway. OK only ones that failed in the air were results of mid airs.

To fix the wing in my opinion you need to tie the third rib (Were the tube ends.) into the wing spar. In other words a strong ply rib surrounding the tube then into the D- tube section of the wing. Also a spar top and bottom of the wing tube from the wing root extending out to and attach to the main wing spar. In my opinion to do that type of repair you may as well build a new wing. Just my humble opinion. One thing I know for sure,100%, is the pictures of wings failing makes me sick to my tummy.

Good luck,

Mark