RCU Forums - View Single Post - oil mix for gas engine
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
BZY, great examples of what lubricants can do for things other then our model airplanes. However, when it comes down to our needs for model airplane engines my statements hold true. If there really was one oil that was that much better then all the rest it would be used by a larger percentage of guys flying gassers. If you ask 10 guys what they use you will get close to 7 different oils. This just tells me we are overthinking the whole scenario.

Exactly right!!

The fact that there are so many combinations that work fine is a great thing for all of us, especially the beginners amongst the group. Doesn't make a hill of beans difference if one uses full synthetic, part synthetic or full dyno, as long as the oil chemistry is well proven and oil amount is adequate.

I've not used anything besides the BelRay MC1 at 1:50 ratio (another way to say this is 2% oil BTW; 32:1 is 3% oil, 40:1 is 2.5% oil, etc) starting at break in and beyond. It's a terrific combination for my engines. I don't doubt that using dyno oil for break in settles things down quicker, but so what? I figure it this way, I'm gonna fly the flights regardless and get the engine the time it needs no matter what. So what's the point of different oils for break in and general running?