RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 09-10-2014, 03:31 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Tailspin,
you are correct in that this started out as a local government issue. Without going into boring details, several years ago we had a neighbor/real-estate developer that attempted to have us shut down. His attempt failed however in our presentation to the county board for our special use permit to continue operating some of the board members picked up on the mention of notifying local airport authorities that was in the AMA safety code at that time. This triggered the requirement in our special use permit to notify the airport which was done. Fast forward to today and we have a similar requirement only instead of being mandated by a local county board it is mandated by “Public Law 112-95: FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012”

I believe in being proactive instead of reactive in these types of matters and I drafted the form letter that I presented to the AMA and here. I never submit a draft without full expectation of reviewers bleeding red ink on my draft such as the comments from TimJ and KidEpoxy above which by the way was appreciated.

On the issue of “holding off” I received the following from Rich Hanson;
“AMA is advising its chartered clubs to hold off on reacting to the MA provision in the bill, at least for now. We are suggesting business as usual and to continue your site operations in accordance with the AMA Safety Code as in the past. However, if you’ve already sent the letter and are working towards an agreement then certainly continue with that effort. If you haven’t sent the letter, it’s recommended you hold off on pursuing an agreement until the AMA is able to provide a form and format for doing so.”

Rich also sent;
“Thanks for the copy on your letter. I read the letter and the associated documents and it looks to be a very good approach to establishing an operating agreement with the local airport. I will certainly keep it on file as a reference.”
I would like to publicly here thank Rich for his reply.
In closing I would like to mention that as far as “sleeping dogs” are concerned that if it’s my guard dog on duty it had better not be sleeping.

Regards
Frank

PS: Before anyone complains, I am not advocating the kicking of sleeping dogs.
Frank-

It's been 2 1/2 years..........any update relating to action taken by AMA, or is it still "on file as a reference?" A number of clubs that were not concerned back the now are.

cj