RCU Forums - View Single Post - Plane Measurements (neg Gs / down elevator loop part trois)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:17 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Using ailerons as flaps for looping segments means you don't have to change the attitude of the fuselage relative to the flightpath as much. Our planes are like rear wheel steering shopping carts with fixed front wheels (or like a boats if you prefer) so to change the amount of lift the wing generates we need to rotate the whole fuselage.

Changing the camber of the wing as well allows the amount of lift the wing generates to be changed with a smaller change in fuselage pitch, ie the pitch attitude of the fuselage stays more aligned with the flightpath.

I don't use it in my current ship because I can't get the ailerons to track good enough and experience annoying deviations in roll but I use them for landing with a fixed offset. I used to use it in an older ship because it had a poor wing loading and would "spring back" a bit (attitude realigning with the flightpath) when you would release the elevator especially at the bottoms of looping segment. Certainly not as noticable as the type of spring back you'd get if you quickly released the rudder at the bottom of a knife edge loop but it was noticable.

Pluses and minuses, try both and draw your own conclussions.

"Hmmm"... If it helps Scott, figure out what range of numbers you need to ADD to 9.8 to get a result between 9.8 to 0 and that might help with this whole wing generating negative lift thing at the top of a big, slow loop...

Last edited by bjr_93tz; 09-11-2014 at 01:40 AM.