RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 09-11-2014, 02:33 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Frank-

It's been 2 1/2 years..........any update relating to action taken by AMA, or is it still "on file as a reference?" A number of clubs that were not concerned back the now are.

cj
cj,
No, and to be honest I did not expect any further contact. As you say the sample letter I provided is 2.5 years old but is still a valid means of fulfilling the contact airport requirement of PL-0112-95 section 336. Of course the attachments in the sample I provided are outdated and would require the latest versions to avoid any confusion. In spite of the AMA recommending clubs hold off I would suggest that clubs that have not contacted nearby airports before or that were outside of three miles but are now inside the five statute mile limit contact the airport(s) sooner rather than later. I disagree with the AMA’s ill advised challenging of the FAA on this issue of airport contact. From a clubs perspective I believe it is far better that if there are any conflicts that the club is operating from a position of compliance rather than noncompliance. Clubs need to protect themselves first.

I would be very interested in hearing from clubs that have contacted their local airports using this or any other method what the reactions have been, if any from the airports. My bet would be that there were far more positive than negative reactions.

Frank

PS: For some reason the Lat/Lon finder link no longer works so when I get a chance to I'll update the link and attachments and provide a new .pdf.

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 09-11-2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: grammer