RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I see no relevance whatever in FAA recognition of AMA CBO status, Hoss. It appears that FAA is inflating the circle from 3 mi radius to 5 mi. Seems to me issue is understanding between clubs now beyond 3 mi but less than 5mi from an airport and ATC at that airport.
Mr. Rumley, maybe I don't understand your post very well. My post above was to illustrate that the AMA hierarchy was a bit too sure of themselves and failed to keep the bull in the pen so to say. The quoted portion was right out of the AMA's MA last year. In other words, the EC back then was a tad sure of themselves and let the bridge fall into the river.
At this time I do not see where any RC modeler would P&M about alerting the Air Traffic Control of any Full Scale Aircraft facility within 5 miles of any RC facility. It's simply a safe and sane method for all concerned to insure that each group is aware of the other party. Remember at many smaller fields, Joe Blow with family, friends, etc has full hands and thoughts when setting up for entering the traffic flow and making a decent approach and landing.
As one with 41 years (13 USAF and 28 UAL) of professional aviation, I would be very happy to make such notification, just to insure the safety of someone else.

Come on people, we have far more than enough real problems in today's world. My bet is that 99.5% of all RCers have a cell-phone at the field. Easy enough to have the local ATC number posted at the field. In my experienced opinion, RCer sends, "Hey folks, we are here flying," and the reply comes, "Thanks Fellows, ya'll have a good day."

Nothing better than working together and no one is shooting at you.