RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Mr. Rumley, maybe I don't understand your post very well. My post above was to illustrate that the AMA hierarchy was a bit too sure of themselves and failed to keep the bull in the pen so to say. The quoted portion was right out of the AMA's MA last year. In other words, the EC back then was a tad sure of themselves and let the bridge fall into the river.
At this time I do not see where any RC modeler would P&M about alerting the Air Traffic Control of any Full Scale Aircraft facility within 5 miles of any RC facility. It's simply a safe and sane method for all concerned to insure that each group is aware of the other party. Remember at many smaller fields, Joe Blow with family, friends, etc has full hands and thoughts when setting up for entering the traffic flow and making a decent approach and landing.
As one with 41 years (13 USAF and 28 UAL) of professional aviation, I would be very happy to make such notification, just to insure the safety of someone else.

Come on people, we have far more than enough real problems in today's world. My bet is that 99.5% of all RCers have a cell-phone at the field. Easy enough to have the local ATC number posted at the field. In my experienced opinion, RCer sends, "Hey folks, we are here flying," and the reply comes, "Thanks Fellows, ya'll have a good day."

Nothing better than working together and no one is shooting at you.
Maybe I didn't understand yours very well, Hoss. I read it as relating the CBO thing directly to the 5 mi rule issues. My bad, you were just using it for illustration of a too cocky mindset amongst our fearless leaders, as you have clarified.
At any rate we seem to be in agreement as to the sensibility of a proactive approach by modelers to foster understanding with ATC in areas where they need to avoid conflicts in some abutting slices of airspace, and can do so, cooperatively.

I'll do my part to send you off to Muncie periodically so you can perhaps influence the big cheeses to think before they act......and remind them that besides all the marketeering they seem obsessed with, they already have an org that needs to be run.

cj