RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 09-15-2014, 04:55 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what you mean by my "other allegations." Are you still maintaining that full-scale airplanes have to stay over 2500 feet AGL within five miles of all airports? I'd really like to see a cite for that one.
No I said "That 5-mile radius is also only good up to 2,500 feet AGL. So yes a 1:1 plane can fly closer than 5 miles from an airport so long as it’s 2.501 feet above the airport." In the context of your own statement; "For example, full-scale planes routinely fly closer than five (or three) miles from small private airports (and even some larger ones) without notifying anyone, let alone getting permission." It was a specific answer to your specific what if... And the cite is found here:

AIM/FAR 2014 https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...aim0302.html.2
Section two
3-2-5. Class D Airspace
a. Definition. Generally, that airspace from the surface to 2,500 feet above the airport elevation (charted in MSL) surrounding those airports that have an operational control tower. The configuration of each Class D airspace area is individually tailored and when instrument procedures are published, the airspace will normally be designed to contain the procedures.

Lastly your statement:
I don't know how accurate those figures are. Does the FAA just take someone's word for these when they apply for a listing, or does someone with a GPS go there and check?
I guess you missed the little blue lat/long link on the database you want to use as gospel that will pop up google maps and show you exactly where each of those current and former airports are located.

By the way I work for the FAA Flight Inspections Services We ARE the folks that fly over each and every one of those airports on that list to verify the data is accurate to four decimal places.

You have blown this so out of proportion we can't even discuss it rationally . FAA FSDOs do not have the manpower or the desire to play traffic cop with every RC airplane operator out there. You will never see one of them in your entire modeling life time unless you or someone at your field endangers a full size airplane. That is the only time 336 will ever come into play, through poor judgment on the part of a modeler or because someone is being a "I don't need no stikin rules!" Jerk.