RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"
Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM
mjmccarron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that this is an old thread but appreciate the opportunity to share a story that is dear to me. I started building kits at the age of 9 with a Carl Goldberg Lil' Jumpin' Bean. I was in 4th grade and that year we had to write a business letter to a company as an assignment. I chose to write to Mr. Goldberg. What I didn't expect was such a detailed and personal response. He answered my questions and encouraged me to continue in model aviation. He suggested the Falcon 56 mk II as a good start into RC. I followed his advise and saved until I could afford the kit, a fox .36 and an Ace RC kit radio. I still have that airplane and although it has an OS .40 and Spektrum radio, it still flies! The letter was signed by Carl Goldberg himself and I treasured it for years. sadly it was lost in a basement flood about 15 years ago. Goldberg produced kits that were superior in quality and price and I miss that. Lanair and Great Planes did what they felt was best but those model kits are sorely missed. I will never forget how he took the time to answer a letter from a 4th grade kid and made a difference in my life. You don't see that too often anymore. His kits, of which I have built many, and encouragement helped keep me interested in a constructive hobby which included very fond memories with my dad. A great man indeed!