RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley
Er, I think that's hiccup. Old Ohio down home lingo...

Ennyhoo; I just ordered a NV .40 gasser. It's supposed to run on gas with a glow plug. Looking at its specs , I note that it has 12 - 14:1 compression ratio & wants 93 octane gas.
I suppose that 12-14:1 spec is something about their machine tolerances.

The reason I mention this is that you seem to have machine shop capabilities. Do you have the where withal to machine a Saito jug enough to increase tha CR to 12:1? The result on gas might be interesting.

CR
No, as a matter of fact, I do not have machine shop capabilities but a lot of the work can be accomplished with "Bubba" machining With files, Dremel tools, drill presses etc.

Reducing compression height to increase the CR is NOT one of those "Bubba" capable operations. I do have the knowledge to operate machines, just no machines. The easiest (cheapest for me as I have to pay for the procedure) way in most cases is to mill the case deck, not the cylinder base. Either way would work however.

For or a good example of what "Bubba" machine work & farmed out machine work that might be involved READ THUS THREAD.

In that adventure I was exploring the possibilities of increasing compression. I would never go that route again to build a high compression FA-180. It would be far easier and cheaper to mill .035" from the deck of an existing FA-180' or mill .015" & utilize the .020" taller FG-57 or FG-84 piston.

A good upgrade to an FA-150 W/a clapped out top end would to use the FA-180 cylinder, piston, ring, valves & the 180 connecting rod bushed down to the 8mm FA-150 rod journal size. The would achieve a 12:1 CR FA-171. The only machine work required would be the counterbore in the case. Valve pocket & piston skirt relief is easy to do W/a drum sander in a Dremel tool in the case of the valve pocket & a half round file for the piston skirt relief. There would be no need for additional rid clearance in the case as the at role would remain the same.

BTW, the DA-180 is not a 1.8 cu in engine at all, it is 1.77 cu in.