RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox vs. Norvel
Thread: Cox vs. Norvel
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appologize for sounding so negative, and yes we had this discussion when they first came out. Before that, there have also been several DYI chokes presented on youtube etc.
There was also a more clever solution presented then, a disc is attached to the main needle and the needle will turn together with the choking disc, thus making some effort to also lean the low-end.

To me it is false marketing to sell these as a "throttle" when it is a choke, so that's why I may have used a too strong language.

As a comparison, even the proper carburetors on the Queen Bee engines will run too rich at the low end, but these ones can be fix with a little trial and error to make a non-adjustable compensation. So throttling a read engine is not difficult in any way.

I simply cannot see any reason to buy a choke (even at $15), plus the head "adapter" for a regular glow plug and a few extra hot regular glow plugs to go with it. Just to run an engine well below its potential, even if it doesn't quit when heavily choked. To me a proper carb would have been much more interesting, even if the cost is higher. I have indeed bought TD carbs from Cox international.

Perhaps something that could be used on both the TD and Sure-start engines would have been feasible, and would have a larger market.

Last edited by Mr Cox; 09-18-2014 at 01:14 AM.