RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox vs. Norvel
Thread: Cox vs. Norvel
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I not a native english speaker and I could get the words wrong by comparing to my native language, but I do believe that there are also technical terms that can deviate from the general meaning or definition of words.

In a carburetor you have a throttle valve and a choke valve, this is very general. The difference between these is in their position relative to the fuel jet (or spray bar), the throttle valve regulates the total flow through the carb (and hence the engine speed) while the choke valve acts to give the engine more fuel at any given throttle setting by choking the intake.

In a regular RC carburetor with a rotating barrel, we have the two exact same functions, it is just that they are both operated at the same time. This is also why you absolutely do need a low end adjustment on the these carbs. This can be in the form of an air-bleed hole, a slot in barrel or different hole diameters before and after the barrel, in order to compensate for the fact that one is also effectively choking the engine when throttling down.

Had the Surestart "contraption" been called a choke, I think everyone with engine knowledge would immediately understand what it does, without any need for further explanations.

Here is an image from wikipedia to illustrate the nomenclature, please do amend the wikipedia page if they are wrong;

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	caburator.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	922.9 KB
ID:	2033242  

Last edited by Mr Cox; 09-18-2014 at 07:35 AM.