RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"
Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so I figured out my setup. I ordered a 10J tx and one S.bus decoder. I also got a 3200mAh LiFe rx pack and a 2000 mAh NiMh pack for the ignition. On the decoder through the S.bus I will have the choke and kill switch (ch 9/10) and one flap servo (slave to ch 6). Using the Flap wing setting in the 10J I will have ch 1/7 for the aileron servos. Ch 6 will be for the other flap servo. Then with the Ailvator function Ch 2/8 will be for the elevator servos. Ch 3 and 4 will be the standard throttle and rudder. The the ch 5 port will be for the rx battery switch.

I will still have to plug in the 4 wing servos every time I set the plane up but that's not that big of a deal and it saves a TON of money over s.bus servos, hubs and transformers! I'll run two leads on one side of the cockpit and two leads up the other side. A simple masking tape label will keep it simple to remember which one goes where.

This way there are no y harnesses or servo reversers to fail and every servo has their own channel.

Quick question though regarding the ignition and RX batteries. Looking at the cockpit floor on this model, it's a rather permanent installation I.e. I don't want to be unscrewing it every time to take the batteries out. I know LiPo's you do not want to charge in the model, but could I charge the NiMh and LiFe batteries in the model?

My plan was to cut out a a small hole in the cockpit floor to allow access to the Deans and balanced charge leads for charging the RX battery and simply use a charge port on the side of the aircraft to charge the NiMh ignition battery. Again I have no experience with LiFe batteries.

Thanks for the help!

-Matt