RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/7 (120") B-25 B scale build
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Continuation elevator, rudder, stab

Back to working on the B-25 after a visit from my son and his wife from Portsmouth England. As she had never seen the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and other northern towns in Arizona we picked them up from the Phoenix airport in our 5th wheel and off we went for 10 days. It was a great trip, even though it was our third time to the Canyon, I never tire of seeing it. As I was a pilot for American Airlines I was able to get them first class standby seats and they really enjoyed that method of travel, now they only want to travel that way. Looks like very soon we will have to plan travel to England.

Getting back to the build has been slow as much had to be caught up on because of the trip, but here is a start - slow but sort of sure.

First several photos show the attachment of the tail section to the fuselage. I am waiting on the hex nylon 4" bolts to arrive to position the bottom plate under the modified saddle to hold the bolts.

Next two photos show the cover plate for the removable control rod for the elevator. I need to set 3 or 4 small screws to hold the plate and LE spar cover in place.

Next three photos show the assembly with the control horns in the rudders and the attachment to the servos. I need to Hysol the Nyrod to the LE and ribs, but the system appears to work very well. Once the Nyrod is stabilized the rudder action will be even better. I have almost the travel of the full size B-25 on the rudders, which is what I wanted to accomplish. According to the documentation the B-25 flew quite well on one engine because of the rudder size and travel. I am hopeful that the scale model handles the same way with an engine out. What I have read of other pilots is that they say the plane is easy to fly engine out and the more rudder the better.

Vertical fin is not glued in as I like Sam's suggestion to glass and then attach the fin. Even now the attachment is firm, but I can see some real time spent in making sure that the fins are straight and plumb once the gluing starts.

Last photo shows my design for the stab removable extension that covers the linkage and control horn. The full size extension of the stab actually penetrates the rudder on the inboard side so some interesting modifications to the rudder have to be done. I should get some time today to start the extensions, but if not, I will try tomorrow after getting back from having the truck at the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	er80.gif
Views:	1641
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	2033271   Click image for larger version

Name:	er81.gif
Views:	1670
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	2033272   Click image for larger version

Name:	er82.gif
Views:	1665
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	2033273   Click image for larger version

Name:	er83.gif
Views:	1672
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	2033274   Click image for larger version

Name:	er84.gif
Views:	1648
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	2033275   Click image for larger version

Name:	er85.gif
Views:	1638
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	2033276   Click image for larger version

Name:	er86.gif
Views:	1649
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	2033277   Click image for larger version

Name:	er87.gif
Views:	1660
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	2033278  

Last edited by rossmick; 09-18-2014 at 01:29 PM.