RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Giant Citabria GP/EP ARF 85"
Old 09-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Which manual? But as long as your receiver and servos are HV then you are OK. Now there is 4.8V, 6V and HV which is I think around 8.4V. But when soneone refers to HV, they are really reffering to 6V. Most servos are rated at 4.8V / 6V for tourqe and speed. Always, higher voltage will give you more tourqe and speen on your servos.
There are regulators out there and I have a couple, but I dont use them. I just run the 6V rec, servos, and batt. The only regulator I use is the IBEC that acts like a regulator for the ignition module and kill SW, with a LED for on indcator. The Life battery is the most stable voltage source out there. In fact I think it is somewhat of a downfall. Because when it first starts out at about 6.8 or so it will drop to 6.6 fairly soon and stay there until about ready to die! and then it will fall off very quickly. some meters will tell you how much is left in %. But a standard volt meter will not tell you really where you stand. You have to charge the battery back up to see how much you used to really get a picture. But, I have used Life batteries in most of my gassers and after 4 or 5 flights I normally only use about 500ma for my day of flying. Not really even close to having to recharge.
Anyway, I picked up the IBEC at GravesRC today. Last one they had. There are a lot of choices out there and I tend to stay with what I have used and proven to work. Been flying my giant Revolver for two years now without a failure. And it looks great still. Had to replace the tires, worn out tread. It's my go to flyer with hundreds of flights and it is set up just like im setting up this Citabria.

Ok I must have read something wrong because I thought the DLE manual said you needed a regulator with a voltage over 6V. I looked into the IBEC and ordered an IBEC from Tech Aero Designs. I read some reviews on them and they seem to be a decent product. I canceled the back order on my DLE kill switch and I'll have to return the 2000 mAh NiMh/switch harness. I like the idea of one battery.

So that leaves me one 6.6 V 3200 LiFe pack running both the RX and ignition. I think that should be sufficient. I'm sort of a lazy touch and go, loops and roll type of flyer. Nothing to extreme to wear the battery down quick.

I'll have too look into a LiFe battery checker. I like the peace of mind knowing the percentage of battery between each flight.

I cant ant wait to get started on this bad boy!

-Matt

oh by the way, there is a cool video review of this model on tower hobbies via YouTube