RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/7 (120") B-25 B scale build
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 AM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tim

Thanks for the comments and the reference on the book, I will get it ordered ASAP.

Yesterday was a bust as the truck was in all day with a mandatory EGR filter change and system cleanout, something to do with the Cummins diesel and $700 - OUCH.

Today I hope to spend the majority of the day working on the B-25. I have changed the design on the extension and will use 1/4" balsa in place of the top 1/16 ply. I think it will provide a better glue connection to the side member and allow for more sanding to curve the upper corner to match the full scale drawings and photos. I just have to make sure there is good clearance for the linkage and horn.

Additionally, I want to get started on the fabric covered ailerons. As they use the same structural "D" shape LE with the ribs joined to that and ending at the TE. I will use the same technique as I did on the elevator and rudders. Also the aileron TE is curved at the outboard end where it matches the curve on the wing tip and is not straight as the plan shows so that will be some changes there as well.

I have not decided just how to hide the connection from servo to the aileron. I have used Sam's idea of the sliding tubes between servo and aileron on the Corsair and it works fine - funny when I designed the linkage on the Corsair using brass square tube I thought I was the only one to think of it - I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER. Seeing Sam's use of round Nyrod tube made more sense and gave me more confidence that the idea would work. I am also considering RDS but have never used it. I don't like hatch covers on the wings and maybe I can put the servos at the inboard section of the outer wing panel and run the long rod out to the aileron. I am afraid there will be too much twist over that length - still thinking. I have also seen guys just bury the servos but I don't think I can live with that - Ah the joys of scale building.

I'll post photos late tonight as my daughter in law is having us over for dinner to thank me for fixing two computers that I had to reinstall Windows and programs because of virus problems - kids playing on the internet.

Last edited by rossmick; 09-20-2014 at 08:49 AM.