RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foil question
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
It seems to me, you need to figure out how to apply it without getting the orange
peel and wrinkles in the first place. Sanding would not seem to take that out. Covering a small plastic model is probably
really tough. I have not used the stuff myself, but I have heard it is best to work from the center out of your workpiece

Grimmace:

The adhesive application process is what will cause fish eye stippling, or orange peel. Sanding with 320 either by hand
or with a quarter page occilating felt faced sander prior to application to the model surface will knock the aluminum down
and reconstitute its surface texture, and patina. The more you sand the more the tint will change and provides a full range
of documentation matching bluish gray tints.

A progression of 320 to 400 to 600 is usually enough to provide a decent surface. Matching doumentation will lead you to
higher grit...but going above 1000 is not necessary. When polished surfaces are appropriate use a high pumise content
metal polish applied per mfg instructions by hand ususally with a damp soft cloth.

Last edited by FliteMetal; 09-25-2014 at 08:56 AM.