RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mato Metal Sherman
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

"The M4A3 is made almost entirely aluminium to give strength while maintaining a reasonable lightness. "

THAT'S interesting - Aluminum not zinc alloy. If these folks are investing in permanent molds to injection cast aluminum parts
that's a serious commitment. Any mold is a commitment of course but a mold capable of working aluminum is a step up the ladder.

I don't see Tamiya stepping up their game a lot. Their only real move in this hobby facet is to either build models no else has yet covered
or offer kits sans electronics to try to keep costs down. When the other manufacturers begin to lead the development and bring out higher end
models of machines previously not covered then Tamiya's 1/16 line may be in real jeopardy. Tamiya stopped making them before when sales
didn't warrant it and I can see it happening again. I just don't see that much of a market for expensive tank models. There's a price point where interest
begins to drop off. You already see it with Tamiya's latest offerings and the other manufacturers will soon run into it also if $600 becomes the new $50
model. Seriously, how many of you here are going to run out and buy one of these at $600? You may spend as much overall to upgrade the garden variety HL
but you do it in increments not one big lump. If you had the option to buy Tamiya's models as parts groupings, lower hull/ running gear, upper hull and electronics
as separate groupings to spread out the cost would you do it?

This new Sherman looks interesting.

Jerry