RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foil question
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Chris,

There are 100's of models covered with Flite-Metal. These are covered simply and easily when customers follow our simple
easy to understand instructions to follow in an exceptionally easy to achieve process. This process, like that of "learning" to
paint a "good scale finish" is an acquired skill.

The time to acquire the skill in this case is very short. We provide the easiest, least expensive to achieve natural aluminum
finish. Our customers range from 15 to 90 something in age. Of all our customers we have only had two who found it more
than their personal skill set could manage. Yes, two (2) in sixteen years! I realize there are in all probability more, but none
presenting themselves to me saying they could not and asked for their money back...

In both cases, I told them when they sent their Flite-Metal to my designated individual, I would provide them a partial refund,
sans shipping cost plus a further amount equal to the wasted aluminum. This was of course my own decision...using it very
constructively Vs. the pending negative shadow being cast on my product.

Kirk Sonnier's P-51C

The remaining Flite-Metal was requested to be sent to an experienced modeler (Kirk Sonnier) who's accomplishments
with our products was excellent by virtue of their skill set to build their model to a high standard, apply and finish Flite-
Metal to their models which were then placed into public view/review at a scale contest or in public venues focused on
scale modeling like RCU.

So you see there is virtually no real negative effect of the adhesive coating on our product. Following our recommended
process of finishing your Flite-Metal prior to its being applied to the surface of the model you will remove all issues related
to the adhesive, if it even if there are any issues on Flite-Metal in someone's possession.

If you want to take the time to prepare the surface of a model to receive flash particals of chrome or aluminum you trade
the stippling for the time and expense of substrate, surface, and flashing a model. However, the otherwise skillset witness
of applying it yourself is lost as are the opportunities to compete wiith the model. Not to speak negatively of the flashing
process or those who perform these services for modeler. Thier products are fabulous when preparations follow explicit
preparation and application protocol.

Then on the other end of the spectrum we have those who apply Flite-Metal directly to their award winning models without
doing any sanding of the Flite-Metal surface. Such is the case for Rod Snyder of Johnson City, TN. Rod is one of the few
fortunate individuals who qualified to represent the United States at the World Jet Meet championship. Rod's BVM F100 is
a replication of a USAF Thunderbird demonstration team aicraft.

Rod's fuselage was prepared as if to be painted, then he proceded to apply Flite-Metal following our recommended way of
doing so. Because Rod deemed the post applied surface matched his documentation perfectly, he chose to leave F-100's
Flite-Metal covered surface aloneThe only surface detailing is in the rear after burner.

Rod sanded each panel 90 degrees out to each adjacent panel the sprayed vertical tinted color lines with Bob Violett's
"Hot Section Paint". The paint does an excellent job replicating the effects of high temperatures in the titanium skinned
section of the fuselage. Customers typically tint this area with a grayish clear coat to make it closely match titanium.

Oh, I almost forgot to disclose how Rod placed at the World Jet Meet. Rod enjoys the reward of 8th place for his effort
to apply Flite-Metal to his BVM F-100 and doing virtually nothing to alter the surface appearance of his entry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KirkS51C.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	2034975   Click image for larger version

Name:	KirkSlftf51c.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	2034976   Click image for larger version

Name:	KirkSlftclos51C.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	2034977   Click image for larger version

Name:	OffTheRoll.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2034985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snyder1001.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2034986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snyder1002.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2034987   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnyderF1003.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	2034994  

Last edited by FliteMetal; 09-25-2014 at 10:11 AM.