RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why rebuilding turbine by jet companies cost so much $ is this monopol .
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

bw5493,

After you replace the bearings you bought online, How do you suggest the local guy should check the balance? I use a $25,000.00 balancer and dynamically balance our rotor assemblies below 1mg on the Compressor the Turbine wheels. I just received a turbine a month ago, that a very competent Engineer took it upon himself to change the bearings. He indicated the wheels and assembled it back to what he thought was perfect. After running the turbine a few flights it started making weird noises so he sent it to me for inspection. I found his Compressor retaining nut was loose and ready to depart. I have proven over and over to guys at my shop that I can balance a rotor assembly, loosen the retaining nut, retighten the nut and it is out of balance a much as 20-40mg. I suggest that if you are flying a jet worth thousands of dollars, spend the extra $150.00 to have your turbine serviced properly by the guys who have the proper equipment. It not only could save your investment, it could save a life if your DIY service fails and the turbine blows apart.

Regards,

Dirk
KingTech Service