RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question for Horrace Cain, candidate for AMA Executive VP in 2014 re: AMA and drones
Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
SOoo , Since there seems to be some confusion here as to what this gent means by "circle flyers" , We now have the init4fun "Urban RC Dictionary"

"Circle flyers" is a disdainful term originally used by folks who fly "3D" to describe RC flyers who fly in a defined pattern . Because the 3D guys wanted to hover anywhere the mood struck , and this was usually somewhere in the way of the established pattern , arguments ensued over folks right or need to hover over an active runway . In the verbal nasties that followed , anyone flying an established pattern was dubbed an "uncool , not with it , old fart who flew around in circles and was out to kill the 3Der's fun" , and was thus abbreviated to "Circle Flyer"

PS , This has NOTHING to do with C/L , which those who toss the circle flyer insult around have likely never seen !
The "Circle fliers" comment was clear to me as a weak attempt at an insult. I figured I would counter by getting a little more specific, and testing the true ignorance of the poster.
I have seen this term used in other threads, and it seems to have been adopted by the FPV, UAV crowd, to separate themselves from the "Old farts" who are stuck in the stone age.
FPV and UAV is not allowed at my club, mainly because they do not need our runway. I hope a separation will be created, by the AMA not underwriting such activity.