RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster F5 questions
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the FB and SM F-5 are identical. I am now flying a FB F-5 and it does not leap off the ground if you set the C.G and flap correctly. The manual's C.G is too nose heavy, you will need to shift it back. I don't remember the exact C.G location, but I will get that to you in a day or two as I have packed it for BITW. We have 2 F-5 flying locally, and we got it figured out how to T.O smoothly without having a scale extendable nose gear.

Here are how, assuming you are using stock nose gear.

1. use a lot of flaps at take off, sometime I just use landing flap setting

2. move C.G backward ( I will confirm the setting later)

3. 1/2 through take off roll (about 100-150'), give about 1/2 up elevator and hold it there. This prevents the nose from dipping low and lightens the nose weight for rotation

4. Give a slightly up stick, about 1/8" up elevator, it will float up and take off at pretty scale angle.

I flew about 9 times at Whidbey jet like that and pretty happy with it.

By the way, the original stabs made by both companies are very weak, so we beef ours up with new stabs with 1/2 span full of carbon fiber, and PCB ribs, and 3mm anti-rotation pins that goes 1/2 chord length. They are rock solid like that. I am not sure whether both care compatible, but I think they should be.

I have a P160SX and it's a rocket ship when it goes. love it. Got one of my flying buddies sold on this.

Here is the link of the maiden. (George was flying it and got it dialed in for me. ,that take off rotation is the most abrupt one due to we were still dialing in the elevator neutral point. The future take off is as normal jet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBjMVKLeTg

Check out the 10:00 time frame for the setting and flight.

See the photos on the flap setting.

Hope these help.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AAF_5824.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	2039599   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAF_5778.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	2039600   Click image for larger version