RCU Forums - View Single Post - TigerTail
Thread: TigerTail
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JP,

it sounds like your cores are intended to be "wrapped" rather than "capped". That was not an uncommon method to cut cores with some of the older kits. Recently, some of us building classics have gone back to that core approach with the knowledge that the resultant wing LE is more accurate when precision cut than when it is hand carved and sanded. It is also, in principle, less work than the more common capped approach.

There are a couple of threads on the RCG Classic forum discussing the wrapping technique. Look for Super Chipmunk and Deception threads with posts by Kevin G and by myself. In a nutshell, our approach is to skin the cores in a composite fashion using both CF and/or FG and balsa. Our balsa skins are 1/32" rather than 1/16" or 2 mm. The LE is wrapped first with a 2" to 4" wide strip of 1/32" and allowed to cure in the shucks. The remainder of the core is sheeted afterward by mating the top and bottom skins to the LE wrap. The LE can optionally be first wrapped with CF veil and epoxy in order to make it considerably more dent proof.

The trick to the LE wrap is to pre-mold the wood prior to gluing it to the core. Depending on the wood used this can entail hot water and/or ammonia as well as repeated molding passes for thicker wood. That said, if the LE is too sharp, sometimes it is not possible to wrap it (e.g., stabs) and skinning the core in a standard fashion is the better option. You can skin to within 1/4 or 3/16" of the LE and then, once cured, saw and/or sand the core LE back to the sheeting and cap it with a balsa strip.

I hope this helps.

David

Last edited by doxilia; 10-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.