RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so here is the concept for the current P38 project.

1. Easy to Build
2. Doesn't fall out of the sky unintentionally

I have experimented with electrics because it is a fair certainty that if one fan is turning both fans will keep turning. It does make the fear of spontaneous snap rolls less a factor when flying but there are other drawbacks, not the least of which for me is the satisfaction endorphin secreted when I hear two sync'd engines running.

Sooo I want to see if I can duplicate a success I had with modifying a Sig Kadet into a twin. The modified Kadet twin is easily flown on one engine, well maybe not easily but successfully!! (I have intentionally taken off with one as well as shut one down while in flight) That plane has well over 100 successful flights to date. (most of the time with both engines running)

The easily built goal will come from the box style construction of the Kadet for the booms and pod and the semi-symmetrical low wing loading hershey-bar type wing of an old Great Planes model I'm familiar with called "GLA". The "Great Little Airplane" wing had a slight swept back design that I think will aid in the flight characteristics and I think I can do some things to enhance the outline of the wing that could keep the results at least a kind of stand-off appearance as true as possible to the full scale. Then we will just have to hope the paint guy can make me look good!!

It will have retracts, about a 56 inch one piece wing with 0 dihedral, I have not decided on power plants yet but leaning toward 40 size although 25's are a real possibility, I know a way to easily incorporate Fowler style flaps between the booms and the rest of the wingspan will have ailerons, 0 incidence on both wing and stab with the thrust line going straight through the wing.

So having sufficiently bored everyone I'll stop for now. There will be pictures along the way and I genuinely appreciate suggestions and/or experience.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you