RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster F5 questions
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Skymaster F-5 that recently underwent its first test flight. Takeaways:

1) With the stock nose gear from Skymaster, the jet does not want to rotate. Even taking off with full flaps doesn't seem to help. I bought an extendable nose gear from Matrix (referenced earlier in this thread) and am working on the install now. One problem I have is that the Matrix gear is one way only; that is, air pressure extends the gear, but you can't use air to collapse it again. That would be fine except for the fact that when the gear is extended, it won't fit into the wheel well unless you open the wheel well up more. I'm playing with springs right now in hopes of modifying the gear for air-down/spring-up operation.

2) I built and installed a spar brace (see picture) after seeing a similar jet go down at Jets Over Kentucky a few years ago when its wings folded in flight. I know of at least one other F-5 owner who has since gone back and installed a spar brace just to be safe.

Hope this helps. If anyone knows of someone who sells extendable nose gear for this F-5 that operates with air both ways, let me know because I'd be tempted to try it. For the record, John at Matrix has been extremely helpful, even offering to take the gear back if I can't get it to work. It's a beautiful piece of machining, so I'd much prefer to use it if possible.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140704_006.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2041359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spar Brace.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	2041360