RCU Forums - View Single Post - have questions about using titebond
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used gallons and gallons of CA+. I used to call the nose and eye burn "getting Zapped" When it would kick and you could see the fumes rise up from the build. Well after 30 5 plus years of build and using CA, I am very allergic to the fumes. Even the foam safe odorless stuff causes a reaction for me. If I am around the CA and kicker, it looks like I rolled in poison oak. I get these welts that ooze this orange colored gunk. Looks nasty and itches to high heaven. I just can not see my self in a hazmat suit to build planes. Just not my idea of fun.

So, what to use in place of CA? I started building with white glue and titebond. So I have gone back to that. Plus I have a nice hot glue setup. This is not the hot glue you get at Wally World or the craft store. This is a high heat acrylic glue gun. Works great but was not cheap. Yet there are a few things that yo really do need CA for. When you thread a hole for a bolt on ply or balsa, thin ca hardens it really well. I hav used the brass threaded inserts in place of the CA. I have also built so many cheap dollar store foam board planes and they only need the cheap hot glue.

So I use hot glue, really hot glue, titebond, epoxy, contact cement to build now. I only buy the 1/4 ounce thin ca now.

Buzz.