Thread: YS Header
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edwarda10pilot
drac:
I was wondering if you have the copper crush washer that goes between the header pipe and the head. This is the copper washer that absorbs the compression (much like the washer or an automobile spark plug) when the "nut" is tightened. I have found that if you do not use a washer or if you use an old washer then the header nut will loosen. I install a new copper crush washer, tighten everything down, run the engine, retighten when hot (tighten the nut IMMEDIATELY after engine shut down). I go thru three of these cycles and I have had hundreds of runs on my YS 140 and 160 without problems.

Ed
Hi Ed,

Which header are you using? I think it may be different to the one I have. Can you post a photo?

The YS header has a copper washer that goes between the flange and head, (I use 2 washers here). The flange is threaded and has a female taper, the header has a male taper that fits in and is held on by a single castellated aluminium nut. These tapers match perfectly and seal when tightened. It's the aluminium nut that comes loose, not the flange in the head.

Last edited by drac1; 10-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.