RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dihedral fixed by the joiner(s)

Originally Posted by spaceworm

Re the wing joiners: Although the rectangular aluminum bars that join the wing halves of my 100 inch H9 J3 provide great utility, a simpler approach is that used on the Alpha 60. The Alpha has an aluminum tube inserted into cardboard tubes in each wing half. The joiners pass through holes in the ribs that are lower in height on each rib going outboard to create the dihedral. However, this does not allow changing the dihedral once it is built in. The H9 approach could allow dihedral change by making the rectangular bars with the angles built in; the boxes in the wings would be parallel with the spars.

Years ago I bent the solid rod joiner on my Navistar to flatten the dihedral; but it is hard to bend tubing.

Good luck.
Hello spaceworm,

As you indicate my boxes into which the joiner(s) are inserted will be parallel to the spars.
They are likely to be 0.25" ( 1/4" ) in thickness made of laminated layers as follows _ _ _
1/16" hard balsa ... grain lengthwise
0.030" dural alloy thickness ...
0.030" dural alloy thickness ...
The dural and balsa to have many drilled holes perhaps filled with 0.072" dia. piano wires.
The length of the joiners will go at least to the third rib and perhaps to the fourth from the wings root ( span center ). These boxes will strengthen the wings' roots.

That adds up to 0.2475 inch joiners thickness plus some thickness of the 30 min epoxy.
The joiners to be built first and then the boxes to fit without play to the joiner(s).
I could change the dihedral by simply building new joiners at a different angle.
I think I will use two degrees each side to start with.
I will definitely have ailerons. I will decide later about flaps ( for the fun of it ) L O L.

I hope to post the struts snapping arrangement when done.

Regards from Zor

Last edited by Zor; 10-25-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Corrected typo 0.72" to 0.072"