RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale Modifications to the 1/3 Scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup
Old 11-01-2014, 11:24 AM
AndyF
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scale Modifications to the 1/3 Scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup

I decided that I didn't like the 1/3 scale Balsa USA's Sopwith Pup lack of scale detailing and construction so I made some modifications.

Years ago I purchased a new kit but never built it. Then back in February 2014 a friend gave me a 1/3 scale B.USA Pup that he bought at the Toledo Weak Signals show a couple of years ago. It had been built but it wasn't a great construction job and over the years that it had sat it slowly deteriorated. That was the state in which I received it. At first I started to shore it up and make repairs to it but construction was so bad that I could just apply a little pressure and the formers would just pop off with little resistance. Over the months of playing with it I became more dissatisfied with the air frame and I decided to modify it to make it close to scale with a scale cockpit.

I will be posting pictures here and I will attempt to catch up to where I am now.

Unfortunately I didn't take a lot of early pictures but here is what I have:

I had already removed the thin plywood decking over the cockpit and forward section of the fuselage. You can just make out the sheeting on the sides of the fuse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	early photo.JPG
Views:	3366
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2043956   Click image for larger version

Name:	before reconstruction.JPG
Views:	4467
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2043957   Click image for larger version

Name:	With center section.JPG
Views:	3150
Size:	1.89 MB