RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Evolution 10cc gas engine
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 05:10 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not that up on the hows and whys regarding regulator specifics. I'm only guessing. That said, I think the regulator isn't going to be real effective at lower rpms. It can't "make" pressure, only restrict it, so not much going on with it at lower rpm. I think the designers were likely more concerned about the tank pressure at wide open being much higher, than say a mid throttle setting. Without this regulation, you'd be dealing with a carb that wanted to supply to much fuel at wide open, and not enough at lower settings. This would make it pretty tough to tune consistently for any kind of horseplay requiring the engine to run as well at half throttle as it does wide open. Bottom line, until a full on pumper comes onto the scene, I think what they have going on is the best of a tough situation, trying to make these little guys run as well as they do! I get what you're saying about low rpm though. Stuff that leaves the plane noose down too long at low rpm (like a spin for instance) causing me some trouble. Last few "dead stick" landings I've had the result of just that issue (inconsistent idle). That's the reason I can't run any lower than I do at this point (have to stay high enough to make a safe landing from anywhere I'm at, and any attitude, when it quits!). I still feel I have a lot to learn about proper care and feeding here though. May be able to adjust my way out of that. Not enough time spent with them yet. Another season with them might be a different story....

13x6 APC in stock now. Mounted it on the U-Can-Do to test. That engine should be plenty broken in/ready for it at this point. That'll be a while as we're getting ready for the fall Michigan to Florida snow bird migration. Packing, shutting the house down, the trip down, then opening the house there up for the winter and settling in takes me a couple of weeks. Retired here though, so no hurries!

BTW, what are you getting for rpm with your 13x6? Brand prop? -Al

Last edited by ahicks; 11-02-2014 at 05:14 AM.