RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hairy46
I know that its going to p.o. allot of people but I wish these where band from the beginning, they are going to destroy this hobby, you did not hear or see this kind of thing really before. These dang things are being g flown everywhere . Where we always fly in designated areas. They're now calling our RC airplanes drones, bull my RC airplanes are not drones, am getting tired of hearing about these stupid people taking this hobby down!
Not sure if this is happening in the USA now but in Australian Hobby Stores if you buy something they will give you one of these leaflets. No excuses for not knowing the rules.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...trol_model.pdf

I was in a local electronics store two days ago, This store sells toy grade RC products but nothing hobby grade. I was buying LEDs for a lighting project on one of my models and when I explained this the sales person handed me this leaflet and explained the rules. I was impressed with that.

I don't see an issue with Multi-copters per se, but you are right, irresponsible use of them will ruin it for everyone. I have several and one has a great camera and gimbal for smooth video. Recently I spent several weekends driving around Sydney to find scenic locations to film.

There were many locations that I could have legally flown but after noting how many people were around common sense and 36 years in this hobby told me not to fly.

In some ways, these things are safer than the planes and helicopters we fly. EG, if my quads detect a loss of signal from the Transmitter they will go into fail safe mode and automatically climb, return to the starting point, land and shut down. Also if they detect an unusual situation, such as tumbling out of control it will cut power to the motors automatically.

Regardless I am a strong advocate of flying these safely and never in a situation that could injure somebody.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	948.7 KB
ID:	2045201  

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-05-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typos