RCU Forums - View Single Post - The 24 year itch
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW..!
Found this thread on page 3..it seems like I started this Mach None / Pacer project when dinosaurs were patrolling the area.
The garage has finally been converted back from being a metal shop / paint booth to a hobby shop again.
The nasty car project is done..[the nasty stuff, that is]. The rest is just typical hot rod tinkering. There was so much body work / metal work that I really got sick and tired of it. This project tested my love of 1960's unibody cars...[especially Ford, never, ever again].
It took a while to get oriented as to what / how / why / where this plane project is headed. The wing surprised me how heavy it is. The larger .15 size fuselage seems light so far. I think the ASP .12 with a 6 x 4 will pull this plane OK. The smaller fuselage is "regulation size" for the .049 engine so I think my original intention was to put a .049 to .074 in it. The smaller plane still needs a wing built. I still have the original foam cores, but they've been sanded down for less drag.
So, this thread is going to be like a "Twin Feature" I think we used to call them at the movie theater. The photo with the little belt sander shows how I make short work of shaping balsa right down to a center line marked along the edge of the plank. 80 grit works fast enough with good control for minor shaping like you see here. This sander is the cheapest one at Lowes, but it's been a good tool for "full scale" jobs too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mach none  pacer 002.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	2045285   Click image for larger version

Name:	mach none  pacer 003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	2045286   Click image for larger version

Name:	mach none  pacer 004.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	367.8 KB