RCU Forums - View Single Post - H9 Spitfire Build
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 06:19 PM
McCrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I posted on here back in April in regards to replacing the flimsy Hangar 9 landing gear wire with some 3/16" cold-rolled steel from Lowe's. Currently I am building the plane but figured I would contribute to the thread as the landing gear has been an issue for many and I don't think anyone has done what I am currently doing.

I drilled out the H9-supplied mechanical retract to accept the slightly larger 3/16" steel which ended up about 3" long. The Robart 650 Oleo struts I used only need 5/8" of wire to hold onto, but I wanted a longer rod to help resist bending. The Oleos and retract mechanism can take about 3" total so I went with that. I also drilled out the smaller bushing that Robart supplied to 3/16" so the rod was supported at the top and bottom of the strut. The complete set-up lis shown in the picture where you can also see the 3/8" nylon washer that I drilled out, painted (unpainted in picture), and used as a spacer since the Oleos are about 1/2 too short. When I JB Welded the bushings into the struts, I did not JB Weld the lower bushing, only the top one that got threaded in and set-screwed as per Robart's instructions. All the set-screws for the retracts, struts, and axles were Loc-tited. I also CA'd the retract mounts as there isn't enough space to add much reinforcement unless I strip the covering. I decided instead of creating a problem I would wait and see how the set-up works and make a repair if necessary with better access. Also, I changed out the factory plastic control horn on the retract with Dubro control horns as the factory one broke as I was removing the control rod. Someone mentioned the control rods bent trying to deal with the extra weight of the Robart Oleos so I reinforced mine with carbon fiber tube.

Will post a picture of the finished project once I am done getting the gear doors on tomorrow and will let you know how it works when I get it in the air probably next season but perhaps this year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141101_150303.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2045746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141101_150328.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	2045747   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141101_172008.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	3.30 MB