RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BJ64, welcome to club Saito. You will quickly come to love their quality and performance.

However, a couple of pointers, one specific to Saito and another that would be a good procedure to practice regardless of make/model.

First off, Saito do not seem to like running lean, especially at high throttle. If lean they can come to an IMMEDIATE stop and even the Safety Lock system will likely not retain the propellor. I know this one for a fact.

You will need to read the tune and break in procedure specific to that engine, but there should be someone with quick info on LS and HS needle settings for that one.

Second to be used for any and all makes, DO NOT go above idle if anyone within or forward of the prop plane. If you have any prop flaw or the aforementioned lean condition a blade or entire prop can eject at high speeds and energies. I see far too many vids and other examples of this practice and all make me cringe.

On the same note, when mounting inverted fuel/oil can pool above the piston. Always make it a good habit of flipping the engine by hand with glow heat OFF before attempting to start. This will help prevent what is called "Hydrolock" where incompressible fuel and oil accumulate in the combustion chamber. If forced you can do mechanical damage and hand propping first should let you feel that condition. If present all that is required is to reorient the engine/craft to let the oil drain. Worst case you simply pull the plug and spin the motor over.

Orienting the centerline of the tank to the carb is relevant to all 2-and 4-stroke engines that use the standard exhaust pressure feed system due to changes in mixture as the tank drains from full to empty. By setting it up for mid-fuel level you would minimize any drastic changes in mixture that may occur as fuel is burned off.

If using a pumped engine or some type with check valve/regulator you can use that system to optimize fuel burn independent of fuel tank level.

Last edited by Cougar429; 11-08-2014 at 11:43 AM.