RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 05:26 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hatch screws on the SW are prone to coming out unless tightened enough one thinks they are going to crush wood.

I think I promised a report on adjusting the wheel position. I haven't done that yet but did check the tail weight and found it greater than my other models of similar size, significantly so. For example, the tail weight of the SW is 26oz whereas my Ultra Stick Lite which is also a 120 size model and of similar size albeit a lb or so lighter, was 12oz. The SW then has almost one pound more tail weight than does the USL. To clarify, what I'm measuring is the weight sitting on the tail wheel.

I think it goes without argument that the mains position of a tail dragger is somewhat critical. Too far aft and the plane is tippy to taxi and too far forward and the plane will experience both hobby horse landings and may experience premature takeoff. The USL with 12oz on the tail wheel has no taxi problems or hobby horse landings. I'm thinking the 26oz on the SW is excessive and a problem and I may try later this evening or in the morning to shim the gear to move the main wheels aft.

The other issue that plagues my SW is that power on and power off trim are still not the same. When trimmed for full power, the glide slope for landing under no power is too shallow. There is currently some up trim witnessed by the forward ends of the elevator balance tabs being down one eighth.

I've mixed the elevators to go neutral trim at low throttle and will check tomorrow to see if that produces a better landing glide slope.

Previously, wing incidence was increased to reduce the up trim needed, which had been a quarter inch of up elevator and a more severe disparity in power on/off trim. Perhaps a little more positive in the wing is needed.

I'll report results of the changes.