RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Yes, that's 2986 AGL. It's not difficult to see at that altitude,(at least not for me), being that my far-sight is very good. I like to call it "Naked-Eye Flying"! Since that flight, though, I've exceeded that altitude, by about 200 feet. Camera got glitched while I was riding an updraft, beneath a lightening cloud, but altimeter, recorded it at a little over 3280ft AGL, so I'd have to say that was my highest unaided flight, yet! Yes, it does start to become sort of a speck, but not quite. That's why I like to do what I've termed, "Step-Climbing". That's why in the video, you see when I'm climbing, that the plane seems to be leveling off and then pointing back horizontal..that's so, that I can keep track of it, from the ground, because when it's up that high and climbing, it become just a thin slit, in the sky, so therefore, I level off in intervals to make sure that it's still going upwards. That particular camera, is the MD80, camera. About thumb-sized and under 6 grams.
Most barometric altimeters measure in MSL, what type of altimeter are you using? The current F5 open (Radio Control Flight Electric) "World record ID 16072" is 3843 m (12,608 ft) by Patrick Vallet of France in 2010-08-06. Have you had your claim ratified yet?

http://www.fai.org/records/aeromodelling-spacemodelling

Regards
Frank