RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freddd
Hello,

I have been following this build with great interest and would like to thank all that contributed. This is by far the best resource for builders considering the CARF Corsair. I had a few questions :
1) How good is the ARF version version the normal build. I don't mind the difference in price but am more interest in how well everything will fit together
2) I'm thinking of purchasing an Authentic Scale Engine R9 versus the usual Moki. However, I'm not sure if it fits. The diameter seems fine but the engine appears to have more overall depth.
Indeed if you look at the drawings below (the middle one is the Authentic scale engine), it looks like you need 7more cm (about 2.5 inches) for the Authentic one (27.4cm versus 20.5cm). I assume that you can reduce the size of the engine offsets but it will still stick more out from the cowl (or the lip if the cowl. For those who have worked on the Corsair, do you think it will fit and will it look scale ?
3) I also realise that the engine exhaust is different than the Moki. There is one exhaust vs two. It looks to be at 35 minutes on the ring (if you think of a watch) which seems similar to one of the Moki exhausts. Finally, the exhaust diameter seems greater than the Moki at 3.2cm. That probably means the nice scale exhausts don't work or will require some modification.

Apologies for using the metric system, I live in the UK. I look forward to feedback.
Thank you
Hello Fred. Thank you for the compliment. We are glad the thread is helping you.

#1. The ARF version is quite good enough for most modelers. It is NOT the way to go if scale competition is the goal, as the factory fit and finish is not as good as it can be by a skilled and patient detail oriented "scale" builder.

#2. The Authentic Scale radial WILL fit in this aircraft. It has already been fitted to at least one Corsair that I know of. The ignition is quite bulky and must be considered early on in the equipment planning process, but it works.

#3. The single exhaust exit of the collector ring. The Corsair has two and some plumbing is needed. Again, all doable. If this engine takes off, I intend to work with Dan to come up with a scale stainless steel exhaust system for the Corsair, custom to this engine, just as we did for the Moki. The good thing is, on this engine, the collector ring can rotate anywhere you want it, unlike the Moki.

Hope this helps.
Gary